Friday, May 16, 2008

Malta Idaho pop. 177

Malta Idaho Population 177

So it is Friday night and for lack of a better offer (hint - hint it's date night). I have decided to update my blog. Big suprise! I can hear the sighs of relief from some of you. I have wanted to share with you my trip to Malta Idaho that I took in April and now that I have a great new computer which does amazing things I thought this would be a perfect time to upload my pictures and tell my tale.

Malta Idaho. Where is that you might ask? Well it is 30 miles this side of Burley. Never heard of it you say. Well not for long.


It all began for me back in March. My niece asked if I would be willing to take her prom pictures. Trying to maintain my status as the "favorite Aunt" I agreed whole heartedly to humor my niece. (I am always looking to add beautiful faces to my portfolio).


Well to make a very long story much shorter. I came to realize, a few days later, that I had just become the offical photographer for the entire Raft River High School. Now this may sound amazing and you may say, "oh my heck, the whole High School. What did you do?" Let me remind you that I was going to Malta Idaho, population 177 (not including the cows).


Well what was I to do? How could I handle an entire High School's prom pictures? Well I can do anything. I am "Super Aunt". I packed my bags of course and pulled out my atlas and planned my 3 hour drive to Malta Idaho.

I decided that if I was going to make the journey that I wanted to offer my services to anyone who might want pictures. So my lovely assitant and niece CB who also lives in Malta made fliers and scheduled appointments to fill up the day time before the big dance
My day was booked. I was so excited. I love new adventures. I have told CB for over a year that I wanted to come and see her home and experience Malta. I finally got my chance.

I packed my studio backdrops and lights in my car and I made the 3 hour drive Friday night. I arrived fairly late to CB's house but that didn't stop us from unloading and setting up backdrops and lights to be ready for first thing Saturday morning.


It was so dark that I missed the scenery as we made the 6 mile journey from CB's to my sisters house where I was going to sleep. I thought I was tired but when we got to my sisters house I was stunned to see my sister sewing away. Yes she was sewing the "Prom Dress" for my niece.


I awoke in the morning to meet my sister still patiently sewing away. I headed back to CB's house to being my own marathon day of photography. Along the way I noticed a very strange phenomenon. The weather was a bit chilly and the farmers left the water on in the fields. Well I couldn't pass up capturing the frozen sprinklers with my camera. It was beautiful.



Ok so I admit. I started this entry last month when the events were fresh in my mind. I don't remember what I was going to say but I have to update my blog and get these pics out.

So to make a long story much shorter. I had a marathon day of shooting. It was so much fun. I think I wore the whole town out. But in the end I captured some great shots that I wouldn't get here in the "Big City".

I will leave you with a couple more shots and of course one of the famous dress that my neice was sown into as her date was waiting in the living room.
All turned out great and in the end it was a very successful day when the population of Malta went from 177 to 178 for 24 hours.




THANKS MALTA!

7 comments:

david santos said...

Excellent post, Mary, excellent!
Happy day

Anonymous said...

I love the black and white ones, they are my fav! oh yes HURRAY You updated your blog!!!!!

Taylor's said...

Absolutely love your humor!

I love the photos too; and that dress deserves an award!

I am glad to hear that you and Jenni enjoyed the conference; she came back on a new high!

BTW, did you ever get my sister's email about ordering pictures? If not, let me know!

Jess said...

Funny post! Those are some great pictures, I love the country and long to someday live in it. If I could only convince all my family to come with. The prom dress is sooo amazing. Some serious talent in that family of yours! When I saw you drive by the other day I said "hey, there my photographer" My neighbor just looked at me funny...ha ha

Melodrama Mama said...

I think that it is great that you have established such a booming business! I agree that the dress in amazing! Now with your profits from the working trip you can buy yourself something amazing!

The Red Page said...

Mary that looked like fun! We are all trying to guess who CB is and I have decided it must be Crystal Brooke. I wish I could afford to fly you to Florida to take our family photos next week! That would be fun but we will have to settle for a timer on the camera since the only day we will all be together is the 4th and I couldn't get a photographer that day.

Unknown said...

Hi Mary, it's Courtney, Jeff's wife. I don't know if you remember me, but we had some conversations about photography:) We're buying a new one, and I was thinking I might get a nicer one this time around and really try to learn how to use it well;) Any suggestions? I remember you saying something about SLRs, what would you suggest as an good introductory camera? Sorry to leave such a long comment:) My email is courtneybpage@yahoo.com. Thanks!

About Me

My photo
15 years - 5 kids - 1 home - 7 cars - 6 long lost pets (I have tried unsuccessfully, sorry kids) - 2 home business - toooooo many TGI FRIDAYS "Brownie Obsessions" - 4 cameras - 1000's of pictures - not enough sleep - one nasty bout with Epstein Bhar virus - many new friends - reuniting with old friends (not that you are old but just that I have known you since the "good old days") - and one fabulous, caring, loving, handsome, awesome husband who has helped me to become who I am today!